Sunday, January 27, 2013

Tony and Cleo

I've been thinking about new ways to engage Shakespeare's texts, and thanks to a friend, the marvelous work of hip hop artists the Q Brothers came back to my mind today. 

Here's my first experiment in translating Shakespeare into the hip hop idiom, starting with the opening of Act I, Scene i of Antony and Cleopatra.  Let me know what you think!   Suggestions appreciated.


PHILO

Yo brotha Deme, the Generals' whacked
He's out of control, and that's a fact
The Roman soldier boys used to be his stars
And his eyes were a-glowin like the great god Mars
When he took them to battle and got into fights
But now Antony is spending all his nights
In bed with Cleopatra where he always wants more
He's giving all his mojo to that gypsy whore

Oh man, here they come, you'll see exactly what I mean
Just watch this fool now when he makes the scene

CLEOPATRA

If you really love me, baby, now tell me how much

ANTONY

It's really too big, my girl, for you to judge

CLEOPATRA

I'll be the judge of that - now let me measure your heart!

ANTONY

It's bigger than the universe, how's that for a start?

MESSENGER

I have some news from Rome my lord - now please don't scoff

ANTONY

Just spit it out my man before you piss me off

CLEOPATRA

Fulvia your wife might have a bone to chew-
And baby Caesar have a little work for you-
To subjugate some lands and liberate a few
You better do it now, and better do it well
If you don't follow orders, you'll be damned to hell!

ANTONY

Say what?

CLEOPATRA

Say this, my man - you gotta go!
Your orders come from Caesar, and he's running the show
Where's Fulvia's summons?  Oops - I meant to say Caesar's!
The two of them have got your nuts inside some tweezers
Get the messengers now, and tell us what they said
Oh, Antony, I do believe your face is red!
That shows I hit it right - you're Caesar's dog, his slave!
And Fulvia, she whips your butt 'til you behave
Now Antony, it's plain to see, you're fully red!
Get the messengers - now!- and tell us what they said!

ANTONY

Let Rome in Tiber melt, and let the empire fall!
Kingdoms are clay, but we are standing tall!
My place is here, and let the news be global!
Antony and Cleopatra's love is noble!

No comments:

Post a Comment